Saturday, March 7, 2009

Trip to Mantua


Last monday we made a short trip to Mantua (Mantova) which is about half an hour drive from Verona. Once home of the Gonzaga family,  Mantua is a beautiful little town with many "treasures". Museums, palaces, a beautiful park, unique landscapes (it lies on a sort of island on the river Mincio) and many special events throughout the year. 
While Verona is quite busy with tourism, Mantua preserves a very cosy small town feeling. Food is delicious here with many typical trattorie... and shopping under the porticoes is really tempting with so many shops, many of which are independent.

6 comments:

Jane Hards Photography said...

That square is beautiful but I wouldn't like to ride a bike over those cobbles.

nobu said...

I like this angle, nice.

Babzy.B said...

beautiful ,i like the peebles !

Fio said...

Mantova... Ci sono stata l'anno scorso. Ricordo bene questo selciato ;-))

Ming the Merciless said...

I love the colorful pebbles on the ground. If I was there, I would collect a bag full for my apartment... don't know what I will do with them though.

Gio Ve said...

Mantua me genuit, Calabri rapuere, tenet nunc Partenope, cecini pascua, rura duces (Iscrizione sulla tomba di Virgilio).

My RedBubble slideshow

You can buy my photos on

Buy art