Saturday, March 14, 2009

Supermarket delight: the banco


This morning we went to the supermarket rather than shopping on-line, like I usually do. Yes, we felt like going to see, choose, browse...because the limits of the on-line shopping is that you end up buying the same list, more or less... 

This is the "banco" where you can choose among a huge variety of cheeses and salumi (prosciutti, salami, mortadella, coppa, etc.). We got some pecorino from Manciano (close to my home in Tuscany) and prosciutto toscano which, compared to the Parma, has ground pepper on the skin and has a longer seasoning, so it's a bit dryer and has a sharper flavor. We also found a rather nice red wine, the Morellino,  from the same area.
Lunch was ready in a jif, today!

11 comments:

martha said...

Beautiful photograph - Gustatory sadism, though.
However, how can you live in Italy and shop on-line? If I had access to shops and markets like you do, I'd be setting up a camp bed in the back room. The thing I miss most about Italy - up here in the still-frozen north - is the FOOD!!!!

Tanya Breese said...

Oh my, what a great market! I'd definitely shop there over on-line!

Anonymous said...

Great image. This is a modern shopping center, so did you?

Lowell said...

My goodness. How do you choose what to eat? I'd have to flip coins as I'd want it all!

Emma Bond said...

yum yum yum yum.... part of my love for Italy, (most of it infact) is the food... and the markets... when I came to Verona we ate amazing food...I can smell the salami from this photo!

Saretta said...

Sapevono che stavi facendo una foto? E bello che non siano in posa.

crocrodyl said...

Nice photo! I like the contrast of colour between two parts of the photo!

Kitty said...

whoa!

makes me hungry!!

Babzy.B said...

Everything looks good ,i like coppa very much !

lemon said...

Aaa, one of my favorites when visiting a foreign country, is visiting the markets!
Thanks for the nice photo.

Ming the Merciless said...

You buy your groceries ONLINE?!?!?!

My RedBubble slideshow

You can buy my photos on

Buy art