Wednesday, January 21, 2009


This is a part of the "portici" that run along the liston, the large marble paved part of  Piazza Bra. I don't know a translation for the word portici (if anyone can help...). I think it was the cold and wet northern climate that generated the architechtural feature of the portici: a simple way keep dry in case of rain. Verona has really a few portici, compared to other northern towns, in fact I can think of only a couple more, certainly shorter than this.


Ann said...

Portico or porticos.

lizzyb said...

Ciao, Valeria!

I think it means colonnade - roof supported by columns at regular intervals.

Ming the Merciless said...

I think it's called portico in English. It looks cold and wet in Verona.

Nancy said...

This is lovely regardless of the weather. I love the Cloisters from yesterday too. Superb!

Madison Avenue Baby said...

Another beautiful photo. We call this a portico.
"Portici" translates into "arcade" in English (because of the arches in the openings) but we wouldn't call this an "arcade". That word has an entirely different meaning now - the most common use of the word "arcade" in the US refers to a place where people go to play video games.
(Too much information?)

valeria said...

So you all use the italian word "portico". There is a difference between portico and portici. We use the plural word portici for structures like this one. The portico (singular) is used for a small and domestic structure, like a porch.
Ming, it's been really rainy. The temperature is rather mild instead.

Saretta said...

It's raining down here, too...blah!

JM said...

I love the archades! I remember in Bologna there are more than 30kms of them, right?

Ann said...

Then we would call a portico a verandah, perhaps a porch though I think that's more American.

My RedBubble slideshow

You can buy my photos on

Buy art