Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Locks of Love


It all comes from a book by Federico Moccia: "I want you", a bestseller and later a movie. The story inspired thousands of roman lovers to imitate the protagonists in writing their names on a padlock and lock it on Ponte Milvio lampposts.
Soon the lampposts became too heavy and polemics exploded about the visual impact of this unusual love statement (the key was thrown in the Tevere, that implied eternal love) but soon the habit became almost a fashion and spread all over Italy....(from the NY Times, read more!)

10 comments:

Cassaundra said...

interesting ...

Leif Hagen said...

Everything seems to be all locked up! Fun foto!

Babzy.B said...

Incredible story , never heard of it before , thanks for the link ;) Your shot is very good !

margaret said...

I read about this and I meant to look for it - and forgot. Glad you took a photo for me!

Unknown said...

This is fantastic! And what a very well composed shot!

Elisa Stocco said...

Sai che anche Michele li aveva notati i lucchetti? Bella la foto

Jeannette said...

I found your blog through Carmie. Those were stunning pictures you took of her house!
And thank you for this romantic story about the love padlocks. Hope one day to see it with my own eyes.

Kitty said...

how funny? I haven't heard about the movie or the lock tradition.

I hope the tradition doesn't start up over here. There's already so much stuff on the streets. No need for more!

Espresso said...

Super shot!

Jilly said...

I left a message for you on Menton to say that yes, the locks are in France too. See Catherine's post about Paris. Thanks for your comment, Valeria and all that great information.

My RedBubble slideshow

You can buy my photos on

Buy art