Saturday, May 22, 2010

Church of San Nicolò, Lazise

This church in Lazise (Garda Lake) was built in the XII century and dedicated to the Patron Saint of waters and navigators, St. Nicholas (Nicolò). It is rather tiny and simple with no baroque signs whatsoever, no stuccoes, no marbles. Just plain stone with ancient frescoes emerging from under the wall painting.
Here is St. Antony Abbot (on the right), widely venerated in this area as the protector of animals and healer of skin diseases. His left hand holds a rod, symbol of authority, while the right hand makes a blessing with three fingers, as was customary for a bishop.

6 comments:

brattcat said...

Thank you for taking us in and showing us this wall.

T. Becque said...

Wonderful colors, textures, and shapes!

PurestGreen said...

Beautiful beautiful!

Pierre said...

These frescoes are always moving pieces of history and art.

Leif Hagen said...

A wonderful church interior photo - love how the frescoes are appearing from behind.
I love, love your header photo overlooking the river! I'm running out of "Cafe Verona" at my office - I have to get some more at Starbucks before Monday!

Kitty said...

I can just imagine what the original must have looked like.

Pretty incredible. These frescoes are so delicate. I remember reading about Michelangelo painting frescoes while lying on his back, the plaster falling into his eyes, eventually causing him near blindness.

My RedBubble slideshow

You can buy my photos on

Buy art